January 19, 2012
BYLAWS & CONSTITUTION
NAME: Strathroy-Caradoc Dog Owners Association (SCDOA)
PURPOSE, GOALS & OBJECTIVES:
To advocate and encourage responsible dog ownership and to support the interests of dog owners with respect to facilities, policies and practices in cooperation with the Municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc.
A member in good standing will have met the following requirements:
A. Resident within the Municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc and/or within Middlesex County.
A1: Members in good standing who move outside the Municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc or outside Middlesex County be granted an extension of one year on renewal of membership provided dues are paid in full. Thereafter their non-resident status would apply and require they become an Associate Member when dues are paid in full.
B. Owner of dog(s), Foster of dog (s), Service Provider for Dogs,
B1: Members in good standing who no longer own a dog for personal reasons or by reason of loss, illness, adoption or death of their dog, be granted an extension of one year bereavement on renewal of membership provided dues are paid in full.
C. Dues are paid in full
D. Minimum age (of owner) 14 years
Note: We encourage members to accept responsibility for proper licensing and to provide medical attention as required for their dog(s)
Upon receiving membership status in the SCDOA you will be entitled to;
A. Run for elected positions
B. Chair committees
- Vote at meetings
D. Take advantage of the SCDOA membership rewards program.
All voting will take place at the general meetings.
There must be 75% of the average attendance at the previous, rolling 3 months, meetings for a meeting to take place.
For a motion to pass there must a minimum 51 % of the members present in favour.
(Note: A member who cannot attend may send written notice to the Association in advance of a vote or an election, and indicate his or her vote, or indicate his or her designated proxy for the meeting.)
Dues will be collected once a year.
There will be a $20.00 membership fee. One vote per member.
The amount of the membership fee is set by the membership at the annual meeting.
Dues will be payable annually by the date of expiry on membership card.
Members of the Executive Committee will contribute to all discussion of policy, direction, objectives and communications. Each member will have one vote on the Executive Committee.
Elections will be held once a year.
The Annual Meeting will take place normally in April. At this meeting Elections will be held as well as Executive Committee Reports. Thirty days’ notice of this meeting must be given.
Critical positions on the executive committee are: President, Vice-President, Recording Secretary. The President and Vice President will be elected in alternating years, starting with the Vice President in 2012. Any further executive committee positions needed will be elected the same year as the Vice President. Their responsibilities will include;
- Chair executive Committee and general meetings
- Liaison between committees, executive and The Corporation of the Municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc, town treasurer and representatives as appointed.
- Committee chairpersons are accountable and report to the Executive.
- Receive all incoming correspondence. Depending on the nature of correspondence forward it to the appropriate Executive member for action.
- Public Relations liaison with all local and regional media outlets.
- Assist the president
- If the President is absent or unable to perform his/her duties, the Vice-President will assume the duties of President.
- Communicate all information the Executive Committee has agreed upon and feel should be communicated to such agencies
- In cooperation with the President, act as liaison with other organizations.
- Take minutes at all Executive Committee and general meetings
- Prepare minutes for distribution to the members, by the President
- Arrange elections
The executive committee will set the sub-committees as required for special events and projects. For example: Calendar, Membership Rewards, Pooch Plunge, etc. Committee Chairperson(s) are accountable and report to the President/Executive.
REVISIONS TO BYLAWS:
These bylaws will come into force as soon as they are adopted by the membership at a general meeting of the Strathroy-Caradoc Dog Owners’ Association. Thereafter, they may be amended as follows:
- any member may suggest an amendment to the Executive Committee
- the EC will notify the membership in writing of the proposed amendment, and may provide comments on the proposal.
- after 30 days, and before 3 months have passed, the membership will have an opportunity to vote on the amendment
- a super-majority (two-thirds of members present) are required for an amendment to pass
MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION FORM
TO ADVOCATE AND ENCOURAGE RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERSHIP
AND TO SUPPORT THE INTERESTS OF DOG OWNERS
WITH RESPECT TO FACILITIES, POLICIES, AND PRACTICES IN
COOPERATION WITH THE MUNICIPALITY OF STRATHROY-CARADOC
___________________________ Postal Code: ____________________
TYPE OF DOG (S) ____________________________________________________
NAME OF DOG (S) ___________________________________________________
INTERESTS (Please check all that apply)
( ) Off - leash parks ( ) Community awareness
( ) Training ( ) Education
Other Interests: _______________________________________________________
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I have enclosed my membership dues of $ 20.00. I agree to support the Purpose, Goals and Objectives of the Association and to respect the SCDOA Member Code of Ethics.
Date: _____________________ Signature: _________________________________
All membership information will be held in the strictest of confidence.
OFFICE USE ONLY: Membership # ___________ Renewal Date: _____________
Membership form can be mailed/emailed or submitted directly to any executive member.
PLEASE REMEMBER TO HAVE YOUR DOG VACCINATED BEFORE VISITING THE PARK